Sunday 10 November 2013

Thomas was Alone, or how little quadrilaterals can have personality

So I've been playing Thomas was Alone this week. All I can say, is wow Humble Bundle, for showing me this game. I never thought it was possible to develop such an emotional attachment to a small rectangle. Despite the minimalist style and story, it's these characters still can be seen to develop, with each speaking lines the size of twitter posts. My personal favourite post (although morbid) comes from James, a previously overconfident, green rectangle: "James hoped that he would be eaten next. He didn't want to be alone" So there you go. More character development then some big budget blockbusters in that line there. Proof that you don't have to write a hundred pages to develop interesting and distinct characters. Plus I find the backstory really interesting- the birth of AI is a seriously fasinating possibility, and the possibility for storytelling is huge- at least, now that we seem to have abandoned the "computers are scary" phase of our development.

No comments:

Post a Comment